Tuesday, November 30, 2010

My Shoe Splurge

I have been happily married for the past 17 years to the most wonderful man and we have a total of 5 children. We have had our ups and downs financially, but 5 years into our marriage we made the decision that I would be a stay-at-home mom. Although I liked the thought of spending more time with the kids, and doing some needed work around the house, the thought of staying home full-time really scared me.

Most of all, I was intimidated by giving up my income. Things were tough at first, and once I was even tempted to take on a part time job but decided against it.

It was hard to break old habits when we started relying on one income, like frequenting fast food restaurants (which actually helped my waist line), regular hair and nail appointments, and the latest designer fashions. However, about a year into our new way of living, I was actually having a lot of fun. Scheduling vacations was much easier because we didn’t need approval from two bosses. Staying home with the kids made me feel needed, and the house stayed in... well, I’m still working on that.

There are times when I go to thrift stores to see what I can find and I have found some good bargains. These bargains have allowed me to splurge in an area that I will not compromise in, and that is good quality shoes. For years, I have bought my family shoes from a great website where they have clogs, sneakers, boots, slippers, sandals, Oxfords, flats and more. These shoes are great for every season and they last for years.

Cutting back in other areas has made little joys like this possible, and makes me, as a mom, feel like I doing something right for my family.

0 comments:

 
Bee Mommy © 2010. Graphics Layout by Pehpot. Coded by kAyE.
ss_blog_claim=e912ff2599a5c41e29d66663795f28ef